Today I had a decision to make. It was not an easy one. At times I can be steadfast in what I know is true and what I know that God has called me to do. And other times, I all too easily let the opinions of others sway my decision making.
This morning one of the people in the office that I work at had a big mess in his office. The roof of our building was being repaired because it has been leaking for some time now. Apparently the men were working on the area just above this particular office, when suddenly the poor man's ceiling caved in. There was a gushing sound and within a minute there was water all over everything. And pieces of ceiling tiles were mixed in with it. Fortunately the man was not in there, so he didn't get drenched in the process. But the sight that we walked in to see seemed impossible to clean up. It was hard to even know where to start. Well, we finally did get things covered up and moved out, but there was still quite a bit of a mess left.
Later when the man came into work, I was struck at the thought of how he must feel walking into an office that was such a disaster. He even showed me a handprint that his son had made that was ruined. I felt sad for him. There are times when this man has been known to be very crabby. And like all of us at times, has been hard to work with on occasion. It's not always easy to want to do nice things for someone who can snap so easily at me sometimes. But I felt God move in my heart. In spite of past occurences, I was feeling the leading to help him clean whatever I could. Again, I will repeat, this was not me. It was completely the Holy Spirit, because I had things of my own to do, and I was feeling pretty good about myself for the part that I had already played in helping clear out his office. But then I realized that God was calling me to do more.
One of the women that I work with pretty much warned me away from going in and helping any further. Or should I say that I was politely told not to. I think that she had the best of intentions. Maybe she figured that I would get my head chewed off if I tried to go in and help. But still I was feeling the urging of the Spirit to go help anyway. So I somewhat reluctantly went to get a mop. When that offer was refused, I figured "Ok, I tried.". So I went and sat down. But the man's sister said she was going in to help him clean up. She reminded me of an email that I had sent her a few days ago about random acts of kindness. And with that I was very quickly convicted that I indeed needed to go in that office and do whatever I could to help out.
Titus 3:1-5 says, "Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peacable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men. At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy." I am called to behave in a manner that is opposite of how my human nature tells me to act. God asks me to be respectful and obedient, and to show kindness to others in the hopes that they will see to the deepest places of my heart. To know that the goodness in me is not motivated in any way by self, but by the God of everything. By the Son of God who was sent to earth to be a living sacrifice for every man. In that He showed the ultimate of kindness, so I in return should be willing to do even the smallest things to show His love!
After I went through with helping clean in the man's office, I could feel the tension from some of the people I work with. I'm sure that they were thinking that I was kissing up. I must be honest- I struggled with wanting to only do a little cleaning so I wouldn't catch too much heck from some of them. But as I continued to clean, I felt the peace of God in my heart. After all, the opinions of man are only temporary. The opinion of God Almighty is the only one that truly matters!!!!!! Luke 9:23-25 says, " Then he said to them all, ' If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?" I guess what I'm saying is that if I have to choose one person to follow, man or Jesus, I know which leader I choose to follow!!!!!!
Lord, thank you for today. Thank you for teaching me this lesson. I pray that from this day forward you will help me to live in a manner that shows the world how much you love them. Even it is just by one small random act of kindness at a time! Thank you for choosing to use me when I am so unworthy! Thank you for your unfailing love! AMEN!!!!!!
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Follow the Leader
Posted by Kristin at 9:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment