All good things must come to an end. Isn't that how the saying goes?
I've been thinking alot about my life and what it looks like right now. It's not exactly what I pictured it would be at this point. But then again, how many people can actually say that their life is everything that they hoped it would be??? Well, I know that there are some people who can say that they wouldn't complain about the hand they were dealt. Living in the lap of luxury? What's to fuss about? The only problem is that it won't last. Not the house or the cars, the clothes, or the fancy gadgets. Not even the money that bought them. Matthew 6:19-21 says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
I often contemplate what my life will be like when my daughter and son are no longer living with me. I love them so much that I can't imagine a time when they won't be with me every day. Truthfully, I don't want to even think about that. If they're gone overnight I miss them! I'm so thankful that God gives them stages to change and become more independent. Not only is it better for them that way, but it makes it a little easier on me as a mom. But there will be a day when they are all grown up and move out. And then someday will come a time of greater separation. (Not permanent, because I know that we will be in heaven together someday, but separation nonetheless.) My point is that even the ones we love will not be ours forever, nor will we be theirs forever. Psalm 89:47 & 48 says, "Remember how fleeting is my life....... What man can live and not see death, or save himself from the power of the grave?"
I have come to this conclusion. It is futile to fight the inevitable. Whether it's people or things, there is nothing that we can hold onto. Everything that seems so necessary to us now will matter no more. I am choosing now to live life with open hands. Letting go of what I always thought that I "needed" to live a full and happy life. And instead I am doing my best to live each day as I feel that God leads me to. Whatever I don't have here and now will seem incomparible to what I have to look forward to in heaven. Revelation 21 talks about a new heaven and a new earth. Verses 3-7 say this: "And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, 'Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.' He who was seated on the throne said, 'I am making everything new!' Then he said, 'Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.' He said to me: 'It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. He who overcomes will inherit all of this, and I will be his God and he will be my son.' "
I would much rather live looking forward to what I will have for eternity than live for the things that I will only have for a short time on this earth.....
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
The Futility of Fighting the Inevitable
Posted by Kristin at 7:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment